回首頁 中文ENGLISH日本語

“Da Dao Cheng” literally means “ a big yard for drying up the rice.” In the early years, there were few people working here due to the brutal ethnic fight in Monga, and mud had begun to silt up the Tamshui River. Da Dao Cheng became the most important port and the economic, political and military center in northern Taiwan. Nowadays, only a few of the old mansions still stand in this area. On top of that some of important historical events and stories happened in Da Dao Cheng.


The religious center attracts lots of visitors. The temple culture always includes local snacks and there are numbers of tasty foods around the City God temple. Most of the Taiwanese ancestors migrated from China and continued cooking their hometown dishes. Taiwanese and Chinese cuisines are always available in this neighborhood. There are several old restaurants and food stands serving various delicious foods along Di-Hua street and Ming-Le street.


Long before the year 1908, the market place used to be a garden. The Japanese built "Da Dao Cheng market" here in the colonial period. Taipei city government rebuilt the market into the" Yong-le market building." On the 2nd and 3rd floor, fabric shops are gathered and they sell all kinds of cloth and fabric. The shop owners pile up their rolls of fabric neatly at the shops. Wholesalers, housewives, and even fashion designers are all fond of this place. The food court on the 4th floor and the traditional market on the 1st floor sells all kinds of delis, such as the well-known stir fried sticky rice and steamed bun. It is a paradise for the gourmets. The market is at 21, Di-Hua Street sec.1 Taipei City

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/KXXsw


The night market is one of the most famous tourist attractions in Taiwan. All kinds of local specialties are provided in night markets. All of the dishes are freshly made and quick service is guaranteed. The market is located at the intersections of Ming-sheng West Road and Nin-Xia Road.


Herb tea is one of the most famous Taiwanese drinks. Herb tea is also known as the grass tea, the cool tea and the bitter tea. The recipe was brought by southern Chinese immigrants. Drinking herb tea can release the summer heat, and ease symptoms of poor digestion. Herb alley is situated at Ming-Le Street.

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/TQuGh

The Taiwanese will distribute the traditional cakes to relatives and friends when there is a wedding or a birthday celebration and also as the offerings to the deities or ancestors. The quality and the packaging have been greatly improved nowadays. Beef or pork jerkies are also very tasty. All of those are popular take-home delicacies for the tourists.


68, Yan-Ping N. Road Sec.2, Da-Tong District, Taipei City

TEL: 02-2558-0809 Website: www.ten-cake.com.tw

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/HIx8C


169, Yan-Ping N. Rd. Sec.2, Da-Tong District, Taipei City

TEL: 02-2557-8767

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/UQalo

72, Yan-Ping N. Rd. Sec.2, Da-Tong District, Taipei City

TEL: 02-2555-1812

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/Dv7UI

309, Di-Hua St. Sec.1, Da-Tong District, Taipei City

TEL: 02-2557-8716 Website: http://www.lee-cake.com/front/bin/home.phtml

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/bM3y8

311, Di-Hua St. Sec.1, Da-Tong District, Taipei City

TEL: 02-2552-8327 Website: http://0225528327.tw.tranews.com/

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/B8WHb

The Bolero opened in 1934. The then owner was fond of fine art. The Bolero was not only the favorite for writers, but also painters who liked to gather there. The owner often worked as a sponsor for those painters who needed help. The Bolero used to be an excellent place for blind dating. Many couples in Da Dao Cheng had their first date in the Bolero. People could have a tea time break here and enjoy the old-time atmosphere. The restaurant is at 308, Ming-Sheng W. Rd., Da-Tong District, Taipei City.


;Website: http://www.bolero.com.tw/

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/Ao708

Wang’s’ Tea opened in 1907, and since then has transformed into a production, and educational venue. It cures tea by using the heat of burning charcoals and shows people the authentic ways of sorting, shifting, curing and packing tea. The 2nd floor is a cultural studio. It is a venue for arts and community groups to publicize themselves as well as promote tea culture. It has regular traditional music performances on Saturdays. Wangs’ Tea is located at 26, Lane 64, Chong Qing N. Rd. Sec. 2, Taipei City.

TEL: 02-2555-9164

Website: www.wangtea.com.tw

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/3QTO1

Artyard is the first creativity and culture house in Da Dao Cheng. Da Dao Cheng is no longer a field for drying up the rice, but a place with plenty of cultural resources. New generations can perform and sell their artworks here. The 1st floor is an art gallery shop. It sells the items from the local brand “ In Bloom”; the designers have transformed their sentiments on the local community into various print patterns in an innovated and trendy style. Their creative patterns are printed on cushions, furniture cloth and book covers etc. They also introduce the pottery from MiaoLi “Hakka Blue” to the locals. The 2nd floor is LuGuo Cafe. The coffee aroma and antiquey decor fill the cafe; several live bands will perform in the cafe occasionally. It is at 1, Lane32, Di-Hua St. Sec.1, Da-Tong District, Taipei City.


;Website: www.artyard.tw

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/wn3GL

“Nostalgic Future ” preserves a little bit of the past for all of us, visitors are welcome to enjoy the spirits of recycling, repurpose, reuse, revitalization, renewal, remake & rejoicing in Nostalgic Future!

Facebook: zh-tw.facebook.com/nostalgicfuture1414

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/eLP9s





Da Dao Cheng Theater is located on the 9th floor of Yong-Le Market Building. It is a treasury trove of Taiwanese tradition cultural folk art. Nowadays, preserving local folk art is increasingly important, in addition to the tea industry, historical sites have become tourist attractions. In order to combine the resources of the local communities and traditional folk arts, Da Dao Cheng Theater is the venue for hand puppet shows, Taiwanese operas, and Taiwanese talk shows, etc. On the weekends, some of the shows will be performed for free. Skilled instructions will be given at the Yong-Le market square. The address is at 9th floor, 21, Di-Hua St. Sec.1, Da-Tong District, Taipei City.


Website: http://www.tmseh.taipei.gov.tw/

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/KXXsw

With a spirit of love, creativity, hope, diligence, and happiness, the museum has more than 5000 puppets in its collection. They have conducted different exhibitions to help the locals get to know the different hand puppet traditions and also create new hand puppet shows to present to the public regularly. They also work with the communities and schools to promote this Taiwanese traditional art. The museum is at 79, Xi-Ning N. Rd., Da-Tong District, Taipei City.

Website: http://www.taipeipuppet.com/

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/7bSEG

URS stands for urban regeneration station. These two stations are managed by the Urban Redevelopment Office of Taipei City Government. USR 127 is arranged by TamKang University. They infuse interior design, architecture and art performances in this station and USR44 History House helps the visitors understand the history in Da Dao Cheng through interesting lectures.

127, Di-Hua St. Sec.1, Da-Tong District, Taipei City

Website: http://tku127.blogspot.tw/

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/Wr2Uj

44, Di-Hua St. Sec.1, Da-Tong District, Taipei City

Website: http://urs44.pixnet.net/blog

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/VVYpn

A boat, on a scale of one fourth, is the first thing to be seen when walking into the wharf. The model boat resembles that which our ancestors used sailing across the strait and migrating to Taiwan. The boat was also known as a Jack. The Jacks were loaded with rocks to keep the boat steady when crossing the strait. When the immigrants arrived in Taipei, the rocks were used as house building materials. There is a bicycle path along the river side. People can go cycling and enjoy the relaxing atmosphere.

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/ZfFRT





Da Dao Cheng started developing from this street. It was one of the most important business districts in northern Taiwan during the Qing and Japanese colonial period. Di-Hua Street was considered a well-developed avenue, mainly selling dried food, tea, rice, fabric and Chinese herbs. Each of the buildings along the street was unique. They decorated the facade gorgeously and seemed to compete with each other to see whose building was the most stylish. Di-Hua Street still remains the old business area and also a distribution center. Every year the Taipei government organizes “New Year Shopping Festival” for the citizens. Di-Hua Street becomes a must–visit place prior to the Chinese New Year. People can purchase the ingredients and traditional foods they need for the New Year reunion dinner.

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/lMt2D

During the late Qing Dynasty, the Qing Government arranged an area for foreign residents. They built a 4 meter wide street. When the Japanese ruled Taiwan, the Japanese named the place Minamimachi (the harbor area) because it was by the river and the harbor was nearby. The old buildings on Gui-De Street were unique. In order to prevent flooding during the typhoon season, the foundations of the buildings were around one meter higher than the road. Foreign companies, tea refinery factories, tea shops, hospitals, lecture halls and fabric shops all gathered along the street. It was the most prosperous street at that time. At the old time, the people on this street could enjoy the beautiful sunset and boat sails on the river. Gui-De Street is not as important as it used to be, but people can still sense the old time glory by viewing the beautiful old mansions along the street.

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/kKxBS

Lee Chun-Sheng Memorial Hall, a Christian Church. Lee Chun-Sheng was the then wealthiest businessman in Dao Dao Cheng. The building was built in 1937. The memorial hall was built by Lee Chun-Sheng’s family, relatives and also his congregation. The church was built like a man’s face. The two round shaped windows are the eyes. The rectangle shaped window in the middle on the second floor is the nose. The entrance is the mouth. It is at 44, Gui-De St., Da-Tong District, Taipei City.

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/rbIL0

Chuang Hsieh-Fa was originally a grocery store. Built in the late 1920s, it doesn’t seem that attractive at first glance. But on closer examination, the beautiful balcony, the courtyard and bamboo-shaped water pipes are all unique and authentic. The removable wooden panels are typically used to arrange different spaces in the house. The culture studies expert Mr. Chuang yung-ming spent his childhood in this house with his parents, and his popular historical-story-telling session is arranged regularly for the visitors. It is at 53, Gui-De St, Da-Tong District, Taipei City.

BLOG: http://jaungyoungming-club.blogspot.tw/

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/dQ8ec

The building is on GuiDe Street, also known as the Tea Street. There is a magnificent mansion, combining both Chinese and western style, called the Ging-Ki Tea Shop (錦記茶行) It was built in 1923 and belonged to Mr. Chen Tian-Lai, the then tea tycoon. The interior decor was gorgeous and luxurious and the mansion’s balcony offered the best views. Beautiful sunsets and ferries on the river were enjoyed from this spot. The backyard garden of the Chens was once huge and beautiful. It’s at 73, Gue-De St., Da-Tong District, Taipei City.

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/QNBES

The name Salt Hall was due to Mr. Koo Xian-Rong’s monopoly on salt in the colonial period. In 1910 Mr. Koo Xian-Rong (辜顯榮) built his family’s wealth on salt. He was commissioned to build a mansion as both a trading office and as a private residence. The building is now used by Rong Shing kindergarten. Salt Hall is at 9, Lane 303, Gui-Shui St., Da-Tong District, Taipei City.

TEL: 02-2553-6699

website: http://rongshing.topschool.com.tw/

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/9PyyW

Taiheicho was known as "Taiwanese street" and it was the center of Taiwanese culture in the Japanese colonial period. More than 200 clubs, restaurants and theaters were located along the road. Shan Shui Ting, the Bolero, and the First Theater were favorites of the Taiwanese intellectual community.

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/3rB9G

It was the clinic that belonged to the martyr Mr. Jiang Wei-Shui (蔣渭水). Mr. Jiang was also called the Taiwanese Dr. Sun Yet-Sen. He established the Taiwan Culture Association and led the Taiwanese Party to fight for the rights of Taiwanese. The right side of the Da-An Hospital was the publishing house for The Taiwan Minpao Newspaper(台灣民報). In 1934, I-Mei Foods bought the building; at that time the economy was still to dire straits. I-Mei Foods excels in the bakery field, and became the customers’ favorite. I-Mei Foods’ chain stores are everywhere. I-Mei Foods is one of the leading brands in Taiwan. It’s at 31, Yan-Ping N. Rd., Da-Tong District, Taipei City.

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/En1J6

Ci-Sheng temple is one of the three important temples in Da Dao Cheng. The main deity is Mazu (the goddess of the sea) Mazu gives blessings to those who work at sea. It is a very common religion in Taiwan. The temple was originally built at the intersection of XiNing N. Road and MinSheng W. Road, very close to the harbor so that the goddess can protect the boats. The temple was moved and rebuilt in the current place. Food vendors gather in front of the temple, and attract lots of gourmands. It is located at 17, Lane 49, Bao-An St., Da-Tong District, Taipei City.

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/0D1US

The Da Dao Cheng Worship House was built in 1915. Mr. Lee Chun-Sheng (李春生), the richest man in Da Dao Cheng at that time, built a Christian church and opened it to the public. The church has 2 entrances, one for the female, the other one for the male. We can tell that the Taiwanese were very conservative and shy at that time. It is at 40, Gan-Zhou St., Da-Tong District, Taipei City.


Website: http://www.tttchurch.org.tw/aboutus.html

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/T2pff

Da Dao Cheng suffered an outbreak of plagues in 1787. The tea traders built a temple for Fa Zhu Gong to get rid of the plagues. Due to the road-expanding construction project, the temple was torn down in 1968 and rebuilt in 1996. It became a 5-story building. The 1st floor is the passageway for vehicles. The Fa Zhu Gong Temple is famous for its Dua Gu Festival (大龜會). Gu is made from the mixture of glutinous rice and flour. It’s modeled into the shape of a turtle. Many people rush to get some Gus. People come to make a wish and bring a Gu back home to keep them safe and bring them good luck. The next year when they come to thank the deity, they have to bring two Gus back to the temple. Some followers will also use glutinous rice turtles as the offerings when praying. The temple is crowded and boisterous during its festival. The temple is at 2, Land 344, Nan-Jing W. Rd., Da-Tong District, Taipei City.

MAP: http://goo.gl/maps/dFJHi